Mr. Roboto – Part 2 | Janne Honkonen | Professional profile and official site - Janne Honkonen - Official pages of the Janne Honkonen, visual artist

Mr. Roboto – Part 2

Mr. Roboto – Part 2 – First motor controller tests

This evening I had the chance to test RPi (Raspberry Pi) with my recently received motor controlled from the RyanTeck and Ebay delivered wheels w/ motors. With my initial setup, I did not want to spend too much time with any soldering and did not have any breadboard to use, so before doing anything, I wanted to all the testing and preconfiguration using only jump wires between devices.

For the testing of the robot motors I connected my power source, a AAA 3 batteries package from old LED lamp (4.5v) directly to the engines with some jump wires and got my both engines humming. As these motors can use up to 6 volts, the rotation speed was not at maximum but was enough to proof the functionality. After confirming that both engines worked, I started checking out the motor controller from the RyanTeck.

wpid-20150311_183147.jpgFor my robot project, I use RyanTeck’s Motor Controller Board which is a very straight-forward and easy-to-use GPIO based motor controller, that can be easily installed to the RPi. It can be purchased as a kit but if you want to save time it can be also purchased as already-soldered package. You simply attach it to the RPi’s GPIO port and then attach one or two motors to the motor output and power source to the power input. TheRaspberryPiGuy’s tutorial was very simple to follow and I got my motor setup running with Python script in about 5 minutes.

Few minutes later I had also already made changes to the example script and got my motors to do different kind of timings and rotations– which was, actually, very cool. My first computer controller motor setup. I could almost hear the “first cries” of my robot-baby.

Even if this was only my first test, it really encouraged me to go straight forward with this project and maybe even start to do first constructions with the hull (casing) of the robot on the upcoming weekend. This all is, of course, depending of the fact of finding a suitable base material for the hull as well as finding a better battery package (power source setup) for the engines, or even to use some sort of chargeable solution. I try to keep my expenses as low as possible for this first edition of my personal robot army.

As for the ending, here is a little video of the first run of the motor script:

Related Post


© Janne Honkonen -